New England Vegan Clam Chowder
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced
3 stalks of celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp dried thyme
3 cups water or vegetable stock
3 potatoes, diced
2 (540ml) cans of coconut milk
1 (540ml) jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
¼ cup dulse flakes (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
½ bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped for garnish
1. In a large stock pot over medium high heat add olive oil. Once heated add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Next add the oyster mushrooms and sauté for 7 minutes until slightly brown.
3. Add in celery, garlic and thyme and sauté until celery is tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in water or stock and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling add potatoes and allow to simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
6. Next add coconut milk, artichokes and dulse flakes and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
7. Reduce heat to low, add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley. Serve with crusty whole grain bread.