Mushroom and English Ale Stew
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (2 whole, 2 finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, puréed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large russet potatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp tapicoa starch + 2 tbsp water
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 2 cups of your favourite English ale
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium stock pot over medium heat add olive oil. Once heated add onion and sauté until
2. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 8 minutes or until brown.
3. Add 2 thyme sprigs, garlic and bay leaf and sauté for another 5 minutes.
4. Add potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Mix cornstarch and water together and incorporate into stew.
6. Add stock, ale, lentils and soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes.
7. Add peas and heat through.
8. Add salt and pepper to your taste and then garnish with the remaining thyme and multigrain croutons.