Curried tofu tacos with brussel sprout slaw
1 (350 g) package extra firm tofu, cut into long ¼” thick strips
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp turmeric
1.5 tsp ground coriander
1.5 tsp paprika
6 tsp coconut oil
1 small onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium tomato, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
1 medium sweet potato, diced
½ cup water
1 (398ml) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
¼ tsp salt
6 cups brussel sprouts, chiffonade
2 cloves garlic
1 lime zested and juiced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
10 6” soft corn tortillas
1. In a shallow baking dish add tofu, soy sauce, turmeric, ground coriander, and paprika and thoroughly coat tofu. Set aside.
2. Next, over medium high heat add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Once heated add tofu strips. Fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes and then flip. Fry other side until golden brown, about 2 minutes, turn off heat and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat add remaining coconut oil. Once heated add onion and garlic and sautéed for 3 minutes, until translucent.
4. Add tomatoes and jalapenos and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
5. Next stir in sweet potatoes and water, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Next mix in beans and salt and heat through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. In a large mixing bowl add brussel sprouts and set aside.
8. Next in a small mixing bowl add avocado, lime zest and juice, water and salt. Using a hand immersion blender blend until completely smooth. Add to brussel sprouts and mix.
9. For assembly take one corn tortilla, 2 tbsp of bean mixture, 2 tbsp of slaw, 3 strips of tofu and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with your favourite hot sauce.